This Pumpkin Penne with Sausage and Sage is creamy, delicious, and ready in just 30 minutes! It’s a perfect fall meal for busy weeknights!
Happy Anniversary to my wonderful hubby! It was actually yesterday, but since I didn’t post, I’m saying it today! It’s been three years since our perfect Cape Cod wedding, and what a fast three years it’s been. We celebrated last night with a nice dinner out, at a new-to-us place that showered us with free apps, champagne and dessert! Champagne and dessert are the way to my heart. It’s a new favorite.
Nick and I met almost six years ago, and back then I had about three things that I cooked. That’s not entirely true– I was good at following recipes and would make something new about once a month or so. But I definitely got stuck in ruts of making the same things over and over. Lots of pasta with jarred sauce and chicken breast. Buffalo chicken salads. In fact, I’m pretty sure those were the only two things I ever made in my college kitchens.
About a week or so after Nick and I met, I wanted to impress him, so I invited him and his buddy over for dinner. And I made this pasta. Not exactly the same one, but it was a similar pumpkin pasta. They both scarfed it down. Years later, Nick’s friend told me that pumpkin is one of the three foods he hates… but he ate it to be nice! That’s true friendship.
Nick does like pumpkin though, and somehow I haven’t made a pumpkin pasta (with the exception of a Chicken and Pumpkin Lasagna) since then. So being that fall is just around the corner, it was time.
The best part about this recipe is how quick and easy it is to put together. The longest part is boiling the pasta, and that can be done while you’re working on the sauce. It’s perfect for a busy weeknight. Especially on a Thursday after a hectic week!
- 1 lb whole wheat penne
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 lb bulk mild Italian sausage
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp thinly sliced fresh sage leaves
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain.
- While the pasta is cooking: Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook and additional 2 minutes.
- Add the sausage and break it up, cooking and stirring until cooked through, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, pumpkin, cream, nutmeg and cinnamon. Stir and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 8 minutes. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Remove from heat and stir in sage, Parmesan and cooked penne.
- Serve topped with extra Parmesan!
Some of my blog friends and I decided to start 30-Minute Thursdays. The first Thursday of every month, we’ll bring you some quick and delicious 30-Minute Meals. And September is the perfect time to start, since quick meals are especially useful with back-to-school craziness.
And be sure to check back next month for more 30-minute goodness. What are your favorite quick and easy meals? I’m always looking for new ones, so let me know!