These Honey Butter Cinnamon Rolls are made with leftover or store-bought pizza dough, which means you don’t have to wait for them to rise before baking them! Perfect for hungry mornings!
There’s not much better in this world than fresh, homemade pizza. Especially when it comes straight out of a wood-fired brick oven. We’re pretty lucky because Nick’s cousins happen to have such an oven in their back yard. So we make homemade pizza quite frequently. And it’s still just about the best thing ever.
On lazier days, we’ll buy store-bought pizza dough and pile the pies high with fresh toppings. Buffalo chicken and pesto with lots of veggies are among the favorites. When we’re feeling a little more motivated, we’ll make homemade dough from scratch.
Not too long ago, we made some homemade dough. We made 2 batches, and then realized that each batch made 4 crusts. Since we didn’t quite need 8 pizzas to feed our group, I ended up with a few extra dough balls. A couple nights later, I made calzones for dinner. But after pizza and calzones, we were kind of Italianed out.
So I started thinking about what else I could use the pizza dough for. I always, always want to make cinnamon rolls but there’s one problem. With most recipes, you need to make the dough, let it rise, roll the cinnamon buns, let them rise again, and then bake. Who wants to wait that long for breakfast!? Unless you get up before the sun, your cinnamon rolls aren’t going to be ready until lunchtime.
So I wondered if you could just use pizza dough? They may not turn out as fluffy as traditional cinnamon rolls, but surely any freshly baked dough covered in butter and cinnamon has got to be good, right? Kinda like breakfast garlic knots!
I decided to use honey instead of sugar. First, because honey butter is the best. And second, because Nick’s sister orders honey at pizza places to dip her crust in… and honey-covered pizza crust is pretty much magical. Do other people do this? I had never heard of such a thing but the pizza places never seem to blink when she asks!
Anywho, these little nuggets of deliciousness turned out fabulously. I ate a few with my coffee the first morning and then decided I didn’t need to sugar-crash all week so the rest became dessert! Whether you eat these for breakfast or dessert, they are perfect little easy treats.
You can use this homemade pizza dough recipe if you need one!
- 1 lb pizza dough (homemade or store-bought)
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ⅓ cup honey, plus extra for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9-inch round cake pan or an 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick spray, or grease with extra butter.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a 16x10-inch rectangle. Brush the dough with the melted butter, then sprinkle it with cinnamon and drizzle honey over it.
- Tightly roll the dough into a log starting from one long end. Cut the log into 12 rolls, about 1½-inches each. Arrange rolls in the prepared baking dish.
- Bake the rolls 25 to 30 minutes until the rolls are lightly browned and centers no longer doughy.
- Serve warm.