These Chocolate Chip Coconut Banana Muffins are sweet and fluffy, like perfect bakery muffins. The tropical combination is perfect for breakfast or a snack!
A couple days ago, I was supposed to meet some girls in the neighborhood for a morning workout. But when I woke up, I was itching to bake, and chocolate chip coconut banana muffins sounded a lot better than squats and lunges. Right?
So I spent the morning eating these:
Nick proclaimed these the best muffins I’ve ever made. That’s probably because instead of trying to make them healthy with yogurt or pumpkin or applesauce, I used butter. Lots and lots of melted butter. And sugar. And chocolate. Yum!
These muffins are big and fluffy. They’re nice and sweet, and though they’re good for breakfast, they’d also be perfect as a midmorning snack or even dessert! Coffee and a sweet snack is my midmorning routine every day and these really hit the spot.
These muffins freeze really well too. I love to make big batches of muffins and freeze them so I can just pop them out one by one when I have a craving. Just wrap them individually in plastic wrap and freeze.
To reheat, unwrap them and microwave for 30 seconds! The chocolate chips with be just a little melty and oh so yummy.
And by the way– when you bake them, you’re going to want to devour one immediately, while still warm. Then another. You’re welcome.
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or nonstick spray a 12 muffin tin, or line with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, combine bananas, butter and sugar, and mix well.
- Add the egg and mix.
- Add the salt, baking soda and flour, and mix until just combined.
- Fold in coconut and chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter into 12 muffin cups.
- Bake 20 minutes, until golden brown on top. Cool in pan a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Note: Photos updated 8-24-18. Original photo below.