This Greek Quinoa Salad is packed with all your favorite mediterranean flavors– olives, feta, tomatoes and more, then tossed in a delicious homemade Greek dressing.
On vacation in Boston and California, I had the opportunity to go to Whole Foods not one, but THREE times! This was very exciting.
Not so exciting? Small suitcases and checked-luggage weight limits. It was probably better for my wallet, anyways, that I couldn’t take the entire store home with me. I did manage to snag a few of my favorites, though, including some quinoa from the bulk bins!
Other stowaways that made it into my bag included wheatberries; dried figs; and a walnut, pepita, raisin and pineapple trail mix that I put together at a cool Make-Your-Own-Trail-Mix bar. Love.
I couldn’t wait to use the quinoa, so it made it into our first meal back at home! I loooove Greek salads. Olives are one of my favorite foods. They have been since age 2.
Feta cheese? Yes, please. Cucumbers, tomatoes, green peppers, oh my! Anyways… Since quinoa kind of reminds me of tabouli (and Middle Eastern and Greek foods are pretty similar), I decided to make a Greek salad/tabouli take on the quinoa. Holy deliciousness.
Amazing. Seriously, you need to make this. Even if you don’t have or like quinoa. Make it with orzo or couscous. But make it. This is definitely one of my favorites! If you love all those salty Mediterranean flavors, you will love this. Anyone want to take me on a vacation to Greece?
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup cucumber, diced
- 1 cup green pepper, diced
- ⅓ cup scallion, sliced (or diced red onion)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- ⅓ cup Kalamata olives, pitted and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- In a medium pot, bring the vegetable stock and water to a boil.
- Add the quinoa, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime, combine chopped vegetables in a large mixing bowl.
- Add oil, vinegar and oregano and toss.
- When the quinoa finishes cooking, let it cool to room temperature, then add to the vegetables and toss.
- Finally, add the cheese and toss everything together.
Note: Photos updated 10-9-19. Original photo below.
If you’re a quinoa fan, check out my other salad creations: