These Reuben-Style Irish Nachos are perfect for St. Patrick’s Day: crispy waffle fries topped with corned beef, sauerkraut, lots of cheese and drizzled with Thousand Island!
So, reubens. One of my favorite foods. If I see a reuben sandwich on a menu, I have a really hard time saying no.
I’m not usually huge on beef, but corned beef is amazing. And I love saurkraut. And the sweet and salty combo with the Thousand Island dressing… Alright, I’m drooling now. Let’s just agree that reubens are the best sandwiches ever.
So I took a reuben sandwich, ditched the bread, and dumped it on top of a pile of hot waffle fries. Because the Irish love their potatoes, so why not? Guys, oh my gosh. This was the best idea. And such a perfect Irish St. Patrick’s Day meal.
I cooked a corned beef from scratch, but you could easily use corned beef from the deli. For the sauerkraut, make sure you get as much moisture out as possible. I wring it out in a clean kitchen towel. Swiss is the traditional cheese in a reuben, but it’s not always as melty as you want nachos to be, so I mixed half swiss (for flavor) with half white cheddar (for meltiness) and it was just perfect.
- 22 oz package frozen waffle fries
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup roughly chopped corned beef
- ½ cup sauerkraut, drained and squeezed dry
- Thousand Island dressing, for drizzling
- Chopped chives, for garnish
- Cook the waffle fries according to package directions.
- In a bowl, toss together swiss and cheddar.
- On a baking sheet or in a large cast iron skillet, spread half the waffle fries in an even layer. Top with half the cheese mixture, half the sauerkraut and half the corned beef. Repeat a second layer on top.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Broil the nachos until cheese is bubbling, about 5 minutes.
- Drizzle Thousand Island over top and garnish with chives.
- Serve immediately.
If you want to try a different spin on these flavors, check out this Hot Reuben Dip.
Hope your St. Patty’s Day is filled with lots of green beer and luck!