These Banana Chia Seed Muffins are super moist and sweet, and packed full of healthy ingredients! They’re the perfect way to use up your brown bananas.
Hey friends! Popping in real quick today to share a yummy recipe that I’ve had on repeat! Both kids are miraculously napping at the same time, so I finally have a minute to post this recipe that I’ve been making forever.
These Banana Chia Seed Muffins are one of my favorite ways to use up brown bananas. We seem to always have brown bananas around these days– a certain toddler always asks for bananas when we’re at the grocery store, but then has very little interest in actually eating them once we’re home.
Luckily, these muffins are always a hit with her! And I love them too. Thanks to the ripe bananas, they only need to be lightly sweetened. And since they’re packed full of lots and lots of chia seeds, I love that the kiddo loves them.
Chia seeds are packed with omega-3’s for brain development! Although some days I’m not sure I want this kid to get any smarter… haha.
The chia seeds in these muffins make them extra moist. And I love that they use oatmeal instead of wheat flour for a change. Oatmeal is great for milk production for nursing moms, so these have been an awesome snack for me too!
You can make tweaks to this recipe pretty easily. Sometimes I use a bit less sugar. Sometimes if I’m out of eggs (or if you’re looking to make these vegan), I’ll add a little extra chia seed (Google how to make a “chia egg”). If I only have 2 brown bananas on hand, I’ll use one of the little individual sized apple sauce cups in place of the third banana.
However you mix up these muffins, you’re bound to love them! They’re moist, sweet, and perfect as a quick breakfast or snack.
These muffins also freeze really well. Just pull them out and let them defrost at room temperature, or pop them in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. It’s a great way to have a healthy make-ahead breakfast on hand.
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 3 medium very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or spray a 12-cup muffin pan and set aside.
- Place oats in a blender or food processor, and process until a fine flour forms.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine mashed bananas, egg, vanilla and brown sugar.
- Add the oat flour, baking powder, soda, salt and cinnamon, and stir to combine.
- Add the chia seeds and stir until evenly incorporated.
- Scoop batter evenly into 12 muffin cups.
- Bake 14 minutes, or until edges are just browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan a few minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
Susanne Boutwell says
Cant wait to make these Chia seed Banana muffins!!!!
what is the calorie count per muffin?
Sofia Walker says
I did the math & believe it’s 90 calories per 1 muffin.
B Dean says
Perfect muffin recipe & turned out nicely with a delightful taste.
These look yummy. They’d be great for Sunday morning breakfast.