These Lemon Poppy Seed Mini Muffins add a fresh burst of brightness to your breakfast or brunch!
I mentioned briefly that I was at a bachelorette party a couple weekends ago. It was for my sister-in-law, and the weekend before that we hosted a shower for her. The shower’s theme was “Brunch & Bubbly,” where we had brunch, dessert and a really fun mimosa bar.
I can’t take any credit for the decorating, but how cute did it come out? Everything was a huge hit.
I was in charge of making a bunch of the food. Besides the sweets, we had a huge fruit platter, 5 different quiches and a variety of mini muffins. I made 2 quiches– ham & cheddar and zucchini & goat cheese– and a zillion mini muffins!
Mini muffins are so fun! I got a mini muffin pan for our wedding and I think I’ve only used it once or twice. So it was really fun to break it out again. I like to use mini cupcake liners for a party, but if you want to skip the liners I really like the idea of the silicone muffin tins— they pop out super easily without having to use paper liners.
Since lemon poppy seed is the bride’s favorite flavor, we had to make some Lemon Poppy Seed Mini Muffins.
Alright, maybe I didn’t know they were her favorite before I planned to make them, but… it turned out perfectly!
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1½ tbsp lemon zest
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2½ tbsp lemon juice
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 3 tbsp poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 36 mini muffin cups with liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, lemon zest, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together butter, eggs, lemon juice, and sour cream until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just combined. Stir in poppy seeds.
- Fill each muffin cup ¾ full. Bake 15-16 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool in the pan a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.
These muffins were awesome. They had perfect, crisp little domes atop the light and fluffy muffins. The fresh lemon zest gave them great flavor and the poppy seeds added a fun texture. It’s a classic flavor that everyone needs to break out now and then!