This Italian Sausage and Kale Lasagna is the best kind of comfort food, packed with fresh kale, creamy ricotta and flavorful sausage!
When it comes to making dinner, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, and sometimes your disastrous cannelloni turns into an amazing lasagna. Sometimes recipes don’t go as planned, but you’ve just gotta roll with it.
Today is Secret Recipe Club reveal day! The Secret Recipe Club is a group of food bloggers. Once a month, we are given a blog assignment from which we must choose a recipe to cook and blog about. Everyone posts their recipe on reveal day (today!).
This month, I was assigned the blog A Day in the Life on the Farm, a blog by Wendy who is a retired police officer who moved to the country with her hubby to start a little homestead. It sounds like Wendy and I have a lot in common– she loves cooking, entertaining, reading and travel. But our hubbies have even MORE in common– scuba, hiking, guns and flying planes. Two peas in a pod!
Wendy has SO much great food on her blog! I was really tempted by her Caramel Apple Pretzels (big soft, sweet pretzels– yum!), but I figured I should stick to dinner. I was torn between a few things, including her Mediterranean Baked Chicken and Mexican Chicken Lasagna. Since I have so, so much kale in the garden, I decided to try the Italian Sausage and Kale Cannelloni.
Wendy’s cannelloni look so perfect and awesome. Mine… did not work out so well. I think it had to do with the brand of lasagna sheets I bought (Barilla). When I took them out of the box, they definitely didn’t look wide enough to be able to roll them into cannelloni.
I decided to boil them a bit as instructed, thinking they might expand a little. No such luck, and they really weren’t even pliable enough to roll even if they had been big enough.
Never fear! What do cannelloni and lasagna have in common? All the same ingredients… in a different shape. So instead of rolling, I layered. And hot dang did it turn out well.
This lasagna rocked! The flavor of the kale really came through which was nice since it was a star garden ingredient. And this was huge! We ate it for a full week.
Definitely a winner, and definitely proves that even if you think a recipe isn’t going to work out, all if not necessarily lost. You just need to be a little creative.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed, steamed and chopped
- 32 oz ricotta cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp dried Italian herbs
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 package oven ready lasagna sheets
- 1½ jars marinara sauce
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the Italian sausage, breaking it up in the pan, and continue to cook until the meat is cooked through. Drain excess grease and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix together the ricotta, Parmesan, eggs, kale and Italian herbs. Season with salt & pepper. Stir in the sausage and onions.
- Spread about a cup of sauce on the bottom of an 9 x 13-inch pan. Place a layer of noodles over top. Spread a layer of ricotta mixture over the noodles, then a layer of sauce. Repeat layers until ingredients are gone, ending with a layer of noodles topped with marinara sauce. Sprinkle additional Parmesan on top, if desired.
- Cover pan tightly with foil, and bake 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes until lasagna is bubbling and top is lightly browned. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.