This Pumpkin Corn Bread is a perfect fall breakfast, topped with a little butter and honey. It’s also great paired with chili– an autumn favorite!
Pumpkin cornbread!? Yes, please!
Those of you who aren’t serious pumpkin fanatics probably don’t know about the great pumpkin shortage of 2009. Yes, it happened. A drought ruined the Libby’s pumpkin crop and canned pumpkin was in short supply. Pumpkin hoarders stormed the supermarkets and not a single can of pumpkin was left to be found. I went to one supermarket that actually had a sign, “Limit 2 cans per customer.” It was pretty terrible, and I was scarred. So now, when pumpkin season rolls around, I stock up. I am now one of those pumpkin hoarders.
Now, with several cans safely stocked in my pantry at all times, I am always on the lookout for pumpkin recipes! When I saw this pumpkin cornbread on Pinterest, I thought it would be a great accompaniment to the Chicken-Corn Chili I made recently.
As a side note, the original recipe called for olive oil. I used extra-virgin and the flavor was REALLY strong. I thought it was weird at first, but it actually grew on me. But if you don’t like a strong olive oil flavor, use light olive or canola oil.
Recipe from Sugar Crafter.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup light olive oil or canola oil
- 1 tbsp molasses
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease an 8×8″ baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, spices, brown sugar, and cornmeal.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs, and stir in the pumpkin, oil, and molasses.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined, then spread the batter evenly in the pan.
- Bake about 30 minutes, until a knife or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
The corn bread was moist and delicious. I usually use Jiffy mix, and find it kind of dry, so I was happy to find out that making cornbread from scratch isn’t much harder than the boxed version!
Note: Photos updated 8-26-16. Original photo below.