These Thin Mint Rice Krispie Treats are a fun twist on the classic, and a great way to use up those cookies you stashed in the freezer. Plus, they’re topped with chocolate… you can’t go wrong!
Does anyone else out there still have Girl Scout cookies left? We bought so, so many (25 boxes, oof), and still have a whole bunch left. I bet at least a few of you still have some Thin Mints stashed in your freezers!
I’m getting kind of bored of cookies, so I decided to use some of my stash to make something fun. The good news is, you can make these even if you don’t have any Girl Scout cookies around. Just use the Keebler Grasshopper cookies instead of Thin Mints.
To make these krispie treats, I used a classic rice krispie treat recipe, but subbed out 1/3 of the rice krispies for chopped thin mints. The cookies are so minty, that even just this small amount gives the treats a ton of mint flavor. I topped the whole thing with a layer of chocolate because… what isn’t better topped with a layer of chocolate?
- 4 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 2 cups roughly chopped Thin Mints (or Grasshopper cookies)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 (10 oz) bag chocolate chips
- Spray a 9x13 inch baking pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together cereal and chopped cookies. Set aside.
- In another large, microwave-safe bowl, melt butter. Add the marshmallows, toss to coat, and microwave 3 minutes, stirring halfway through. Stir until marshmallows are completely melted.
- Pour the marshmallow mixture into the cereal mixture and very quickly stir it all together with a rubber spatula until the marshmallow is evenly distributed.
- Press into the prepared pan. Tip: Use a nonstick-sprayed piece of wax paper to press the mixture into the pan.
- Place the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Stir the chocolate chips, then return to the microwave for 30 seconds, remove and stir until melted. If they need to be heated longer, heat in 15-second intervals, stirring in between, until melted.
- Pour the chocolate over the crispy treats and use a spatula to evenly distribute it.
- Let cool completely, then cut and serve.