In this Grilled Apricot Caprese Salad, layers of fresh grilled apricots are paired with creamy mozzarella and bright basil. Then it’s all drizzled in balsamic glaze. The perfect summer salad!
It’s grilling season! We’ve been grilling hot dogs and hamburgers since the beginning of time. Over the years we’ve gotten a little more creative with fish, portobellos and veggies. So what now?
How about fruit!
Fruit and grilling are a match made in heaven. The high heat caramelizes the sugar in the fruit and gives it such an amazing flavor. Stone fruits are in season right now and they’re the perfect thing to grill.
We have an amazing stone fruit stand in town that sells at least a dozen different varieties of freshly picked apricots, nectarines, peaches and plums. The apricots seem to have the shortest season, so I always make sure I take advantage when they have them. There are several different varieties of apricots. Any will work in this salad, so long as they are still a bit firm. You could also substitute peaches or nectarines!
- 4 medium, firm apricots
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- Balsamic glaze (such as Blaze)
- Preheat grill (or a grill pan) over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high.
- Cut apricots in half, remove pit, and brush each half on both sides with coconut oil.
- Place, cut-side down, on the grill and cook 3-4 minutes until fruits have grill marks. Flip and cook another two minutes.
- Let cool slightly, then layer with mozzarella and basil. Drizzle balsamic glaze over top and serve immediately. You can also cool the apricots completely and serve this salad chilled.
This salad is so perfect for early summer before the homegrown tomatoes start ripening in droves. I love that the apricots are a little bit sweet and a little bit tangy– they go perfectly with the creamy mozzarella. Such a fresh dish!