These BBQ Chickpea Bowls with Avocado Cream are packed with nutrients, protein, fiber and healthy fats. They’re a delicious vegan meal that will satisfy your summer BBQ cravings!
Happy Memorial Day Weekend to all! After being out of town for over a week, I’m just hanging around the house this weekend.
When I lived in the Northeast, Memorial Day was always extra special because it signified the official start of summer (my favorite season, of course). Here in California it’s already been summer for quite a while. We practically have 9 months of summer. Memorial Day is special because it’s still cool enough to enjoy outdoor parties and barbeques! The scorching heat is just around the corner, but it hasn’t quite set in yet.
After you stuff your face with hot dogs and hamburgers and mountains of meat this weekend, you might need a little veggie detox.
These BBQ Chickpea Bowls with Avocado Cream are going to be just perfect for that! I’ve been trying to eat more plant-based meals without feeling like I’m missing out on anything.
These bowls are packed with nutrients, fiber, protein and healthy fats. Even though they’re vegan, they are totally satisfying. I love that the BBQ sauce and avocado add a little summer to the bowls!
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 2 cobs fresh corn
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce
- 1 large avocado
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Cilantro, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss diced sweet potato with 1 tbsp olive oil, cumin and salt & pepper, to taste. Spread in one layer on a baking sheet. Bake until cooked through, about 20 minutes, tossing once or twice while cooking.
- To cook the corn, trim husks off at the tip of the cob. Microwave in the husks for 2 minutes, flipping over after 1 minute. Let sit in husk until cool enough to handle, then remove husk. Slice off kernels and set aside.
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the chickpeas and cook 2 minutes to heat. Add the BBQ sauce and cook, stirring frequently, until sauce reduces and coats chickpeas, about 5 minutes.
- Add the avocado and lime juice to a blender. Process until light and fluffy. Add salt & pepper, to taste.
- In 2 bowls, combine sweet potato, corn, BBQ chickpeas, and tomatoes. Top with avocado cream and serve with cilantro.
Happy Memorial Day to all!