Here it is! The Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto recipe I promised you last week.
Pesto is such a great way to use up all your garden basil when you have too much! You can make a big batch and freeze it in jars or tupperware containers for months. Fresh basil taste all winter long– win! I love the tang the sun-dried tomatoes gives to this pesto. It’s so flavorful. I used my Homemade Sun-Dried Tomatoes in this, but you can definitely use store bought as well.
We used this as the sauce on veggie pizzas several times. I also had some with raviolis, and it was just as amazing. I think it would be really good in a caprese grilled cheese with some fresh tomatoes and mozzarella!
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, loosely packed
- ¼ cup toasted walnuts
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic
- ~1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- If your sun-dried tomatoes are packed in oil, drain them. If not, place them in a heat-safe bowl and pour boiling water over top to cover. Let sit 5 minutes, then drain.
- In a food processor, combine sun-dried tomatoes, basil, walnuts, Parmesan, garlic and about ¼ of the oil.
- Pulse a few times to combine everything. With the food processor running, stream in remaining olive oil to desired consistency (you'll want it really oily for a pasta topping, less oily for a pizza topping, etc).
- Season with salt in pepper.
Any other ideas? What are your favorite types of pesto?
Isadora @ she likes food says
I love always having pesto around so I can pretty much put it on everything! Sun dried tomato pesto sounds so good and I just happen to have some sundried tomatoes in the fridge and the last of my basil plant in the front yard! I think I know what I will be doing this weekend 🙂
Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice says
I’m so glad you shared this recipe, Jessica! It looks amazing! I’ve never had a sun-dried tomato flavor before, so I’m loving this. Pinned!
[email protected] says
This would taste fabulous on a grilled cheese sandwich! I love the flavor of sun-dried tomatoes!
I love pesto, this sun-dried tomato version look so delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe 🙂
[email protected] says
Sun dried tomato pesto is one of my favorites! SO excited that I can make it at home now!
I make a variation of Bruschetta: Bread (Baguette, French Bread, or just about any non-sourdough bread) coated with olive oil then toasted. After toasting it’s topped with basil pesto, sun dried tomatoes, grated mozzarella and/or grated Parmesan cheese, 5 more minutes in the oven to melt and brown the cheese. Wonderful stuff.
Having Sun Dried Tomato Basil Pesto will make this easy dish and even easier one.