Fresh corn, tomatoes and green beans are tossed together with a whole shredded rotisserie chicken to make a delicious summer vegetable salad. A cilantro and jalapeno dressing adds tons of flavor!
Does your family share recipes? Ours does! All the time.
I’m constantly getting emails and texts from family members with recipes they made and loved. I definitely like when someone else tests a recipe out before I make it. My dad and Nick’s aunt especially are always passing along some great dishes. And I think my sister has made at least half the recipes from this site!
My dad and stepmom came to visit to meet Molly a couple weeks after she was born. We were definitely still trying to figure out life on the outside, and were nowhere close to being in a good routine yet. Have I mentioned the sleep deprivation?
Needless to say, having someone else around to do some grocery shopping and cooking was awesome. We especially appreciated some home cooking, and not just all pizza and takeout.
We have a huge farmer’s market here in town and I knew my dad would love it so I sent them out one evening to explore.
With all the fresh summer veggies at the farmer’s market, my dad was inspired to make this salad. He actually got the recipe from another family member!
The salad was so yummy that I’ve been dying to make it again ever since they left. It’s perfect for this time of year when everything is in season and you’ve got lots of garden or farmer’s market goodies. It uses a whole shredded rotisserie chicken, which adds some flavor and also means you don’t have to turn on the oven on a hot summer night!
- 3 ears fresh sweet corn, husks removed
- 1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 3 cups diced fresh tomatoes (or halved cherry tomatoes)
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 rotisserie chicken, skin and bones removed, shredded
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 fresh jalapenos, stems, seeds and ribs removed
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup crumbled cotija cheese
- Wrap each corn cob in a damp paper towel. Place all 3 in the microwave and cook 5 minutes. Let cool, then cut the kernels off the cobs.
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil. Add the green beans and boil 4 minutes. Drain and rinse beans with cold water.
- In a large bowl, combine corn kernels, green beans, tomatoes, onion and chicken.
- To make the dressing: Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic, and cook until just starting to turn soft and golden, about 5 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor, combine cooked garlic and shallots, ½ cup olive oil, cilantro, jalapenos, vinegar and salt. Blend until smooth.
- Pour dressing over the salad and toss everything to mix.
- Top with cotija cheese and serve immediately.
Some notes! If you can’t find cotija cheese, you could substitute feta or just use shredded sharp cheddar. If you want the dressing a little stronger, you don’t need to cook the shallots and garlic. I can’t handle the raw garlic, but I know some people love it! Use more or less jalapeno, depending on how hot yours are and how spicy you like it. Enjoy!