These Coconut Flour Banana Bread Muffins are gluten-free and packed with chunky banana and chocolate chips! They are perfect for breakfast or as a snack with a warm cup of tea!
It’s mid-January already. HOW!? Seems like yesterday it was August and we were packing up Nick’s stuff for deployment. And now homecoming has come and gone, the holidays have come and gone, our vacation is already a distant memory, and it’s back to the grind. Back to “normal” life.
But that’s OK… that means lots of cooking at home and healthy meals. And lots of packed lunches and snacks. One of my favorite easy-to-freeze snacks to pack is muffins!
And not big, sugary muffins. But muffins packed with lots of healthy stuff.
I know, I know. There are chocolate chips in these muffins. But those are just for fun. These muffins are also packed with bananas and lots of healthy fats and fiber from coconut flour and coconut oil. They’re super delicious but will stick with you as a hearty breakfast or snack.
I love baking with coconut flour because it has such great flavor and a totally unique, moist texture. If you haven’t tried it, this is a great recipe to start with! I like this organic coconut flour, but you can use whatever brand you like!
You’d never know these muffins are kinda healthy. In fact, I love having one or two for dessert as well! I mean, hello, chocolate. You can never go wrong with chocolate. And these little muffins with quiet your sweet tooth without gorging on a pint of ice cream (I know I’m not the only one who wants to do that!).
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 4 eggs
- 2 overripe bananas, mashed
- ⅓ cup honey
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 9 muffin cups with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together coconut flour, baking soda and powder, salt and spices.
- In another bowl, beat together eggs, banana, honey, coconut oil and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into 9 sprayed muffin cups.
- Bake 18-20 minutes, until edges are just browned and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool in muffin tins about 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge.