Banana bread muffins are frosted with peanut butter and garnished with bacon and banana for delicious and fun Elvis Breakfast Cupcakes! This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SpreadTheMagic #CollectiveBias
My post-college Boston roommate had a bit of a sweet tooth. At all hours of the day. Or maybe not all hours? But definitely the early hours. She wasn’t that into breakfast foods, but that didn’t mean she didn’t eat in the morning. Her breakfast of choice? Usually cookies, cake or her favorite– cupcakes. Our friend once totally caught her walking down the street at 7 am chowing on a cupcake. So over the years it’s been a bit of a joke between us that cupcakes are acceptable breakfast food.
Now, while I might not actually advocate eating sugar-laced treats for breakfast, I came up with a solution. What if you could make a cupcake out of regular breakfast foods!? I mean, muffins and cupcakes are pretty much the same thing, right?
So I made a breakfast cupcake! Which starts with a muffin– banana bread to be exact– then gets frosted with peanut butter (totally an acceptable bfast food) and garnished with bacon and fresh banana. It looks like a cupcake but it tastes like breakfast. How fun is that? Plus, Elvis would totally be proud of this amazing sweet and salty combo.
Now on to the important question– creamy or crunchy? How do you like your peanut butter? I like both and I always have a really hard time deciding between the two. So I was really excited when I discovered a new product in the peanut butter aisle (admittedly one of my favorite aisles) at Walmart– Peter Pan Simply Ground!
It’s “creamy peanut butter with a bit of crunch,” and yeah– really yummy. It has the texture of fresh ground peanut butter but it spreads smoothly and easily without tearing your bread– or muffins, in this case!
It was the perfect texture for frosting my cupcakes. A little creamy, a little crunchy, and no need to decide which one you like better. It also has no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives, so I’m down with that!
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 very ripe bananas
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp Peter Pan Simply Ground Peanut Butter
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and cut in half
- 12 small slices fresh banana, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and continue beating until smooth. Add banana and mix until banana is just broken up. Add flour, baking soda and salt and mix on a very low speed until incorporated.
- Divide batter evenly between 12 muffin cups. Bake 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool in pan until muffins are cool enough to handle, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- When muffins have cooled completely, frost each one with about 1½ tbsp peanut butter. Garnish with a piece of bacon and slice of banana, if desired. Serve immediately. Store extra muffins in the fridge and microwave 20-30 seconds to warm.
What Peanut Butter Flavor Fits Your Personality?! Take the fun quiz here. You’ll also get a coupon and access to more peanut butter recipes!
Dani @ Dani California Cooks says
Haha – i love these! I’m not a big “bacon” person (I know – everyone thinks I’m crazy) but I definitely could get on board in cupcake form.
Thanks, Dani!! Even just the pb + banana is a great combo without the bacon!! Yum!
I love the Elvis flavor combos!! I once at an Elvis hamburger and it was so good! I can eat these for breakfast since they have bacon and peanut butter, right?!
Exactly!! All breakfast foods!! 😉
Shelby @ Go Eat and Repeat says
I love the idea of a breakfast cupcake! I mean, how could someone say no to that? Especially when they look as good as your Elvis Breakfast Cupcakes here =)
Right!? They were so yummy!
Cheyanne @ No Spoon Necessary says
Haha! Your roommate sounds like she was a trip! I eat salad a lot for breakfast, so I can’t really talk about what defines a normal breakfast, or judge! 🙂 Anyways, I am LOVING this Elvis spin on muffins (or cupcakes)! So genius! Banana bread is one of my all time favs, but kicked up a notch with peanut butter and bacon? OMG, Yaaahhhsss! These are amazing! Cheers and thanks for sharing the YUM!
Thanks, Cheyanne!! They were sooo yummy! I love the sweet ‘n salty combo!