These BBQ Chickpea Bowls with Avocado Cream are packed with nutrients, protein, fiber and healthy fats. They’re a delicious vegan meal that will satisfy your summer BBQ cravings!
Happy Memorial Day Weekend to all! After being out of town for over a week, I’m just hanging around the house this weekend.
When I lived in the Northeast, Memorial Day was always extra special because it signified the official start of summer (my favorite season, of course). Here in California it’s already been summer for quite a while. We practically have 9 months of summer. Memorial Day is special because it’s still cool enough to enjoy outdoor parties and barbeques! The scorching heat is just around the corner, but it hasn’t quite set in yet.
After you stuff your face with hot dogs and hamburgers and mountains of meat this weekend, you might need a little veggie detox.
These BBQ Chickpea Bowls with Avocado Cream are going to be just perfect for that! I’ve been trying to eat more plant-based meals without feeling like I’m missing out on anything.
These bowls are packed with nutrients, fiber, protein and healthy fats. Even though they’re vegan, they are totally satisfying. I love that the BBQ sauce and avocado add a little summer to the bowls!
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 2 cobs fresh corn
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce
- 1 large avocado
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Cilantro, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss diced sweet potato with 1 tbsp olive oil, cumin and salt & pepper, to taste. Spread in one layer on a baking sheet. Bake until cooked through, about 20 minutes, tossing once or twice while cooking.
- To cook the corn, trim husks off at the tip of the cob. Microwave in the husks for 2 minutes, flipping over after 1 minute. Let sit in husk until cool enough to handle, then remove husk. Slice off kernels and set aside.
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the chickpeas and cook 2 minutes to heat. Add the BBQ sauce and cook, stirring frequently, until sauce reduces and coats chickpeas, about 5 minutes.
- Add the avocado and lime juice to a blender. Process until light and fluffy. Add salt & pepper, to taste.
- In 2 bowls, combine sweet potato, corn, BBQ chickpeas, and tomatoes. Top with avocado cream and serve with cilantro.
Happy Memorial Day to all!
Denise | Sweet Peas & Saffron says
Hope you’re having a nice, quiet week-end, Jess! These bowls look right up my alley, so fresh and packed with flavor! Delish!
Thanks, Denise! They were SO yummy!
Annie @ The Garlic Diaries says
I love this! Everything sounds so delicious together. I am a big fan of chickpeas lately, and I love the idea of adding bbq flavor to them. Can’t wait to try!
Me, too! I can’t get enough chickpeas. 🙂
Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice says
Jess, this chickpea bowl looks amazing! Such a great idea to make a bowl out of these delicious ingredients! And I’m really loving the bbq flavor, especially with that avocado cream!
Thanks!! They were super yummy!! 🙂
Kristine @ Kristine's Kitchen says
I hope you enjoyed the weekend! I’m ready for the wind that we’ve been having lately to go away so it will warm up a bit more! These chickpea bowls look so healthy and flavorful!
Jess, this is one delicious bowl of goodness! I love that I can get my BBQ fix the super healthy way — this looks delicious!
Rachelle @ Beer Girl Cooks says
Happy Memorial Day to you too, Jess! I’ll eat just about anything with avocado and bbq chickpeas look fun and delicious!
Kelly - Life Made Sweeter says
Hope you had a great weekend! Love all the goodies in these chickpea bowls! They look so fresh and delicious!
Natalie @ Tastes Lovely says
These bowls sound delicious Jess! Love all the healthy veggies you packed in there. Yum!
Karissa @ Vegan A La Mode says
Woah this sounds amazing! I love any kind of vegan “bowl”. I’ve been doing a lot of burrito bowls but might have to try this BBQ chickpea bowl instead!
Thanks, Karissa! They were so yummy– you should definitely try them!!
This was delicious! So many yummy flavors in every bite, and filling! Didn’t have fresh corn so I used frozen. Thanks for the recipe 🙂
Thanks, Eileen! So glad you enjoyed it!
This is delicious! Never would have thought to put bbq sauce on chickpeas. I used Blender Girl’s bbq sauce recipe and added quinoa. Thanks!
Awesome!! So glad you liked it!
This looks really good, can’t wait to try it!!
Thanks, Lisa! Hope you do!
Mary M. Martinez says
Thank you for sharing this recipe 🙂 will definitely try this at home.