One upon a time I lived in Boston. It was the early post-college days, which meant lots and lots of girlfriend get-togethers. One of my friends lived in a gorgeous, expensive condo with an amazing city view. Since the rest of us lived in shacks and studio apartments, we ended up spending a lot of time there. Whenever we went over, she always graciously made us a few snacks (to go with our 12 bottles of pink wine). Among a variety of other snacks, there was always her signature black bean and hominy dip. Which was so delicious. I had never heard of hominy before discovering that dip and honestly I don’t think I’ve had it since!
I haven’t thought about that dip in years, but for some reason it crossed my mind when I was thinking up Superbowl snacks. The craving hit and I couldn’t ignore it. I texted my friend to ask for the recipe, to which she replied, “Wow. I haven’t made that FOREVER!”
Turns out, the “recipe” was black beans, hominy, red onion and Italian salad dressing. Hmmm, I thought, that’s it?? I wanted to make it a little more fun, so I added a few twists. Italian dressing is kind of random and something I don’t normally use, but I added just a bit to keep the same vibe going on in the dip. I tasted it before and after I added the dressing, and, as weird as it sounds, it really did add a ton of great flavor!
By the way… if you haven’t had hominy, it’s basically masa before it’s ground up. Fat, soaked corn kernels. You can find it in cans near the canned beans and/or canned veggies.
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1½ avocados, diced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp Italian salad dressing
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Combine beans, hominy, avocado, onions and cilantro in a bowl and toss to combine.
- Add the lime juice and Italian dressing and mix well to combine.
- Season with salt & pepper, to taste.
- Serve with tortilla chips!
This dip was just as good as the one I remember eating so many times all those years ago. It was fun digging up all those memories of my Boston days. And since the Patriots ended up winning the Superbowl (I brought this to a party), it was the perfect tribute to New England!
Love bean dips? Check out these others!
And for even more beany goodness, check out these delicious recipes from some of my favorite bloggers!
- Refried Bean Taco Dip from Whole and Heavenly Oven
- Baked Spinach and White Bean Layered Dip from The Well Floured Kitchen
- Cilantro Lime White Bean Hummus with Roasted Jalapeno from Flavor the Moments